The Legal Manager shall be responsible for providing expert legal advice to support business stakeholders and ensuring legal and regulatory compliance. The person in this role shall also be responsible for updating the organisation on legal developments that impact the industry.
The incumbent shall in addition be responsible for managing external legal partners, ensuring KPIs are met and that a professional service is rendered to the business
• Provide corporate and commercial legal advice to the business.
• Ensure the business operates within the industry’s and the territory’s legal and regulatory compliance framework.
• Negotiate, draft and review a wide range of agreements, including ground leases, customer and vendor contracts, municipal agreements, etc., displaying sound commercial acumen and excellent attention to detail at all times.
• Support the Legal Director on due diligence matters related to mergers and acquisitions.
• Implement quality and timely decision making.
• Implement and maintain processes, policies and procedures as required, taking into account relevant Group mandates.
• Demonstrate effective self-leadership as an individual contributor in a high-performance environment.
• Provide coaching, training and change communication to staff on key legal developments impacting the business.
• Provide training to the business on key agreements.
• Provide anti-bribery and anti-corruption training to the business and external stakeholders in accordance with internal policies.
• Effectively manage external legal partners.
• Manage and interface with regulatory authorities, providing input into proposed regulations and where applicable, drafting position papers.
• Handle litigation issues with the support of external counsel.
• Perform company secretarial duties.
• Comply with the provisions of health, safety and environment legislation in Tanzania, and shall also comply with Company’s policies and procedures including occupational health and safety and wellness policies, and any modifications to any policy that may be introduced from time to time.
• Live Company’s Core Principles and work proactively in a customer-related way in accordance with adopted procedures and best practice.
• Work co-operatively with colleagues and external stakeholders to promote the Company’s overall business objectives.
• Ensure that confidentiality is respected and maintained at all times.
• Perform any other duty as directed by line management.
HR RELATED ISSUES:
• Ensure positive team actions under any circumstances.
• Ensure ongoing feedback is provided and corrective action is taken where required.
• Focus on solutions not problems.
• Ensure that appearance and behavior is always in line with the Company’s policies and other guidelines.
• In a timely manner, escalate matters as appropriate to the line manager and/or the escalation matrix stipulated in the relevant Company / Group policy.
HSSE AWARENESS AND ACTION:
• Ensure that own vehicle and other company equipment is operated in line with health and safety guidelines.
• Raise any HSSE deviations and/or perceived problems / concerns to the urgent attention of senior management.
Education and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Law.
• 5 – 8 years at the Tanzanian Bar and a US/UK Bar Qualification is an advantage.
• 5+ years legal work experience and in general commercial and corporate law. International exposure is an advantage.
• Knowledge of corporate and commercial law principles.
• Knowledge of land law principles, including title and legal document requirements.
• Excellent commercial drafting skills.
• Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
• Exceptional attention to detail.
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office.
• Litigation experience.
• Telecoms/infrastructure experience.
• Regulatory experience.
• Ability to work with functional groups and different levels of employees throughout the organization to effectively and professionally achieve business results.
• Ability to set timelines and follow up with internal and external customer needs as needed.
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively.
• Strong organizational skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks within the agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of duties and functions and in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong track record of building and maintaining solid relationships with both internal and external customers and vendors.
• Self-motivated, able to work both independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests as well as collaborating with others to provide high quality solutions.
• Legal Director